The Birmingham Lafayette Cemetery is a non-profit cemetery in a rural, peaceful, country setting of Chester County, Pennsyllvania. The treelined stone drives, memorial garden and abundant variety of trees throughout the cemetery provide a bucolic environment. We are rich in the history of Birminaham Township dating back to the Battle of the Brandywine in 1777. (See History Page). Although the Birmingham Lafayette Cemetery is no longer connected to Birmingham Friends Meeting, our origin traces to the September 11, 1777 battle between General George Washington’s Continental troops and the British soldiers under Generals Howe and Cornwallis. Of the 6,000 British troops and nearly 8,000 Continentals, about 600 British and 1,200 Americans were killed. Many who fought in the battle near the Friends Meeting House, both British and Americans, were buried in a mass grave now on the property of the Friends Meeting.
The Historic Section of the Birmingham Lafayette Cemetery
Memorial Garden at Birmingham Lafayette Cemetery
Picture from reenactment of the Battle of the Brandywine courtesy of J. Serum